Thursday, December 13, 2007

Film Clip Project

Creating a lesson plan incorporating film was both fun and liberating for me. So I know that putting it into play in my classroom will make typical English literature instruction exceptionally interesting and relative to my students.

From the very first introduction of this assignment, I was excited because I know how much I personally love movies, and was ecstatic to hear about the positive reasons and suggestions for incorporating film into our unit plans. My assignment, which involves exploring characterization within the novel Pride and Prejudice, by Jane Austen, engages students on many levels. Incorporating the movie in addition to the book creates variance from typical, sometimes narrowed instruction techniques, and appeals to students who learn best visually or audibly. By creating a worksheet relative to the concepts we are exploring for this particular lesson plan, students are also developing their listening and writing skills, since they have to pay close enough attention to the movie to answer essay discussion questions.

After seeing the possibilities and effectiveness of tying film into the normal literature and writing curriculum, I plan to use such ideas on a regular basis in the future. Even this semester, I have created several additional lesson plans for other classes employing the same concepts that I did for this project, and have worked on developing my technique for successfully teaching movies in addition to books.

No comments: